May 17, 2006

Navin Johnson's Daddy Always Said, "Don't Never Ever Trust Whitey"

The Da Vinci Code is quite deeply embedded in my list of books to read, but one would have to be completely unaware of his or her surroundings to not know the gist of the story. And while there is nothing more enticing to me than a good battle between religious zealots and artists of literature and film, the commotion surrounding the worldwide opening of the movie leaves me dumbstruck.

The book was/is a best seller, and I can't imagine the movie would be bad if it involves Ron Howard and Tom Hanks. Why the uproar? In my opinion, it is because too many people have very large sticks up their asses and can't lighten up. It's a novel. It's a movie. I say hooray for anyone who uses Jesus Christ as a protagonist, or at least a procreator. He was human, after all. And that Mary Magdalene ... well, I hear she was one hot mama. If we can't let our imaginations run wild once in a while, even in the religious arena, then we are poor excuses for intelligent life.

What really kills me is the outrage of Michael McGowan, head of the National Organization for Albinism and Hypopigmentation. He states in an article I found on AOL News:

"The Da Vinci Code" will be the 68th movie since 1960 to feature an evil albino. "The "Da Vinci" character "is just the latest in a long string," McGowan said. "The problem is there has been no balance. There are no realistic, sympathetic or heroic characters with albinism that you can find in movies or popular culture."

Albinos? Forgive me as I have not read the book or seen the movie, but does the albino have a huge role? I know the albino is a murderer. Is there more than one albino in the story? Oh, wait - I'm sorry - am I being politically incorrect in referring to them as “albinos?” Perhaps they prefer to be called “people of no color.”

Does Michael McGowan really believe Hollywood has some kind of vendetta against people of no color? I suppose so, as he has taken the time to watch and count all the movies since 1960 that contain scary or mean albinos.

While Mr. McGowan has every right to voice his opinion, I can’t help but laugh at his offended sensibilities. How dare Hollywood portray albinos as evil, and on such an outstanding number of occasions?! Frankly, I think McGowan's argument pales in comparison to issues of real oppression such as historic and present day global politics that have, for example, subjugated entire races into slavery and practiced genocide. Michael, where is your perspective?

Come on guys. Pull those sticks out of your asses, relax, and just enjoy the movie.

No comments: