May 16, 2006

Simple Pleasures

What a lovely day. The sun is shining. The birds are singing. The bunnies and squirrels are mating like there’s no tomorrow. Yes, bunnies and squirrels – together. The product of their coupling is known as a squirny. Squirrel + bunny = squirny. There’s your biology lesson for the day.

How am I privy to being surrounded by such natural wonders? I’m away from the office today. I took it upon myself to sacrifice a day at work in order to be available to the workers replacing the glass in some of our windows due to broken seals. Boyfriend and I decided it would be much more economical to replace the glass rather than the windows themselves. Like, ten times less expensive.

The workers came promptly at 8:30 a.m., as scheduled. They told me they didn’t need help with anything and that they had enough space in which to work. (It took me hours to clean up the crap scattered on the floor – a new decorating technique I label as “things placed quaintly in areas you wouldn’t normally find them because you haven’t the closet space or decorating sense to put them anywhere else other than on the floor in front of the window.” It’s a far cry from “Shabby Chic,” but you know.) So I wandered around the house trying to decide what to do while they were working. I couldn’t very well just sit and watch soap operas; they’d think I was white trash. I decided to do some ironing. That way I looked busy, but could assist at a moment’s notice if need be.

It only took them a couple of hours to replace the glass in six windows. Just as they were finishing their job, I was finishing my ironing. I paid the nice men for the job well done and watched them drive away. When I went to inspect the windows they had repaired I immediately wanted to call them back and kiss them both full on the mouth. Sealed windows are a wonderful thing, but what got my motor running was the fact that not only are these windows sealed, they’re clean! There is nothing that turns on a woman like me more than clean windows, especially if I don’t have to do the actual cleaning myself.

I’ll spend the rest of my day sitting in front of these tight, clean windows watching the world go by while I fantasize about someday having the nice men come out to replace the glass in our other windows. I couldn’t have asked for a more satisfying day away from the office.

No comments: